Sunday, November 25, 2007

Look both ways, once more, then again, now repeat (and check behind you)

You must look all ways before crossing a street here. Large or small, two lanes or three, day or night -- it doesn’t matter. The good old “look left, then right, then left once more” that I was taught in the 80s does not work. It will get you through the first few steps, but if you think the coast is clear from there, see ya sucka! Instead, you have to look in all directions before, during, and immediately after (just to be sure your not laying in the street, ala Patrick Swayze in “Ghost”) you cross.

I will take a short video and post it soon. The cars, motorcycles, and bikes come at you from all angles and all directions, all the time. And that's why the possessed chick from “The Exorcist” would do well for herself here. Sure, you’re looking at a little lit-up green guy through the traffic signal, telling you it’s ok to cross. But that’s irrelevant. Really, he’s just daring you to make it without looking. I’m sitting in a café as I write this and I’m still looking around for an automobile of some sort to swerve within inches of me. My roommate, Greta, has been brushed twice by passing motorcyclists. Not too bad, but enough to give her a jolt and a pain in the shoulder.

I don’t think they exist, but the professional street crossing championships should be held here. It’s like a super-advanced, human game of Frogger. You remember the Atari game, right? The one where the frog has to jump from log to log or lane to lane, meanwhile dodging oncoming water or traffic – I thought you did. Well, a new version could go something like this:
Level one: Chicago River (narrow, peaceful)
Level two: Schuylkill River (wider, more currents, brown)…
Level 100: Nanjing Road, Puxi neighborhood of Shanghai

When I return, you will be amazed at how quickly I can get across Oregon or Michigan Avenue. The lights will not faze me and neither will the “traffic.” You will turn your head, look across the street, and that’s where I’ll be, waiting for you and reflecting on how calm things are.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't get my day started without reading your blog - this has become a favorite place next to Holy Name.

your experiences remind me a lot of mine growing up. during my freshman year, the only places i went to were my dorm and my school. i was too afraid to cross the street and was too physically (and mentally)challenged thinking if i ran, i would actually fall on my face - not sure which would be more embarassing. on one of my few visits back home, i got stuck in an intersection - confusion and panic on my face - i started crying refusing to cross until my youngest sister, who made it across, came back for me. many years later - here and everywhere- i still look both ways before, during and after i cross. somehow this gives me a little bit of hope knowing that there is someone out there who understands why i do it (look both ways, not cry). welcome to the club. (hope greta is doing well.)

have a good week. thanks for sharing.

carina (cgl360)

Anonymous said...

chris. i can't wait for you to come back and play this game with me. to make it more intriguing, i will ride my bike on lake shore drive to add to your challenge of trying to cross at oak street beach (and not in the pedestrian tunnel either -- on LSD). if i tag you, you must do all the rest of my ABSs.
derek and ken are calculating the risk of doing this as we speak

Eleanor Armstrong said...

well living in S. Philly now for 24 years, I understand a little of what you're talking about; everyone here is always trying to beat the light!!!

love, mom xo

Anonymous said...

Chris, good to read about your experiences over in China. Keep your eyes and pay attention!
-Dad

doyoutri said...

Chris,

teaching is work...I do it all day. You have to make about 10,000 decisions and you don't even know it. Keep it up...check out my blog i have my ironman finisher video on there.