Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Eight hours in Nanjing - Episode I

The city of Nanjing sits about 175 miles northwest of Shanghai and with roughly 5 million inhabitants, it is average by Chinese standards. I went there yesterday, armed with nothing more than four phrases written in Chinese (historical sites) and a couple notes on when the trains should be leaving (from and to Shanghai). No maps or guides, no purchased tickets, no itineraries – just a wherewithal to see the city I read 200 pages about three months prior (The Rape of Nanking; well-written and sobering).

I take the subway line #2 to the train station and am blanketed by the smell of warm pee and the sights of excessive amounts of people coming to and from. I think the trains are in the building next to me. A sign with some Chinese characters and “ticket office” adorns the front of a separate building. The ticket room is smoky, but bright, and there are seven lines, each with a neon sign above it written in Chinese characters. I look to the schedules and posters on the wall, but there is no comfort to be found as everything is in Chinese.

With no English anywhere in sight, I go with the universal language – “pick the shortest line.” It works. After waiting a few minutes, I get to the front of the line and the clerk glances at me with a rushed face, like the last thing he needs is this startled foreigner on the other side of the glass. I agree with him. And I point to the Chinese characters for “Nanjing” and then write “9:45,” the time I think the train leaves. He nods and types on his computer, then gives me the 93rmb (about $13) ticket, and points up.

Now I have a ticket, but I’m not sure where to go. Anyone resembling a train station employee gets my ticket in their face along with a hopeful look that they can point me in the right direction. This gets me nowhere. I see some travelers going into a building across the street. It looks like a safe bet and it is. The clerk at the entrance stamps my ticket and I’m in. I put my bag through some sort of x-ray machine, but I do not have to get naked like you do at the airports these days.

I see signs with my train number (D414) pointing to a waiting room, where I meet the rest of my fellow cattle who are making the trek to Nanjing. I sit and try to figure out what my ticket says using my pocket Mandarin guide, when the girl next to me says, “Do you need help?”

“Where do I start?” runs through my head. But the words come out more like, “Yes.”

“You stand-up, you no seat,” she says while pointing to her ticket, which clearly shows a car and seat number, something that is absent from mine. Because the train is full and I booked my ticket so soon before leaving, I have to stand for the duration of the trip. At this point, I feel thankful that I even got on the train at all.

This train must have been one of the fastest I’ve ridden. It’s modern and comfortable, even if you don’t have a chair. The bad news of having to stand is balanced by the good news that comes with the conductor’s announcement: the train’s next and only stop is Nanjing. I’m on an express and it takes us less than two hours to get there. “Standing” isn’t so bad, especially since I sit on the floor most of the trip next to a couple other Chinese guys.

We arrive in Nanjing and my first priority is to buy my return ticket on the 8:09pm to Shanghai for that night. There are several older women selling city maps and I purchase one for four kuai (about $0.50). Most of the writing is in Chinese, but I’m still thankful to have it. Then I navigate the subway system (which is thankfully similar to Shanghai’s) and get off at a stop that looks like it might be their version of Walnut-Locust or Grand & State.

When I get above ground for the first time, I see I guessed well. There are tall buildings everywhere and a bunch of advertisements, one of which bears the likenesses of Tim Duncan and Chauncey Billups. I collect my thoughts while eating KFC.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm KFC, would that be Kentucky Fried Cat? MEOW

love, mom xo

doyoutri said...

NIce story,

at least you did not get off at 95th and dan ryan or take the green line.

thats a great story.

mike

Anonymous said...

Lucy would be very offended if you ate anything that resembled a cat...she doesn't even know that you are out of the country yet!
jen

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you are getting around on the transit system. I guess all those rides on the Broad Street Subway when you were young have paid off. The weather today and tonight is snow in Philly, so Edward should play his football game in the snow this year. Did you take the apartment yet for the holidays? Take care. Dad