Thursday, March 13, 2008

PDA


Yesterday, I went to Starbucks for the 50th time since I’ve been here and was greeted by the usual smells of chocolate and coffee beans. I glance off to the left and notice something else familiar: a couple sitting on one of those small couches. She is sitting on his lap. I study at the café for a couple hours and upon leaving, I notice the couple is still there. This is not uncommon in Shanghai.

In fact, it is common place. A lot of newlyweds live with the son’s parents while they’re saving to buy a home. Talk about killing the mood. So, for this reason and probably a few others, the affection spills into the streets more so than in the States. Subways, restaurants, street corners, sidewalks...you name it. In addition to construction dust, love is in the air here. And wouldn't it have to be? I mean, how else do you get your population to 1.3 billion?


1 comment:

Eleanor Armstrong said...

Chris....are you trying to tell me something??? HA-HA

love, Mom xo

p.s. you do know that the middle room is now "the computer room" right?