Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tough loss

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/shooting/7566240.stm

This is up there with the Mets' collapse last season. Over the past ten days, I've watched Olympic sports that I never knew existed and it looks like I picked the wrong time to start watching Men's 50m rifle shooting. Is this getting any press in America?

In this sport, a typical score is 9 or 10. The highest you can get is 11. Anything below 7 is very abnormal. This guy was up by 3 points going into the last round. All he needed was a 6.7 for the gold.

He then shot a 4.4, which is unheard of for a pro. As a result, Slovenia picked up their first medal and China won another gold. Our boy finished fourth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris....believe it or not, I did read about this guy. It actually was a story about his girlfriend last week during the Olympics and how they met, yatta, yatta. Anywho, they go on telling how he missed the shot @ the last Olympics. When I saw he missed again, I couldn't believe it! I read about it on the web. Not sure what kind of press he is getting in the papers.

love, mom xo

Anthony Lascio said...

It did get limited mention here in the States, but I didn't pay attention. After reading the likk you sent, I still don't grasp the magnitude of the collapse. He was up 3.3 and shot a 4.4? I guess that's bad. Whatever. Maybe you can explain it to me, 'cause the BBC couldn't.