Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Picnic

I went on a picnic last Saturday with my colleagues and students and am getting ready to post some pictures from the day...

Yes, I see the sweat stains on the birds hat and no, my washer is not broken. But this is a special hat. You know those hats that light-up along the borders of the logo? The ones you would never wear around South Philly? Yes, this is one of those hats. My dad threw it in my bag before I left to come back to Shanghai which I originally thought was nice of him. It's got a bunch of circuits on the inside so I can’t wash it. Hence, the line of salt around the Eagles logo.

Second, the picnic was a lot of fun. We grilled chicken wings, corn on the cob and steamed bread. No burgers anywhere in sight. My colleague Laura and I lucked out when we found a small hut selling beers for 75 cents. That's one of the things I love about this place - is there a spot in America where children are around and you can still buy beers there, let alone for less than a dollar a can? Later, it rained for the 15th day in a row and we had to seek shelter in a shack along with some people who were having their wedding pictures taken. But they were pretty cool and we hung out together, waiting for the storm to pass.

---

I didn't get to watch the Eagles game last week but, from reading the articles and box score, it looks like the D ran wild. Nice.

Next Monday morning, I should get to watch my first live Eagles game in about a year and it couldn't come at a better time....watching them smoke the Bears in Chicago! It's also the first day of the second biggest holiday here...a week long celebration of the founding of the PRC in 1949.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris....I was wondering where that hat got to! It looks better on you anyway...LOL

love, mom xo

Anonymous said...

Sorry Doogie, your eagles got plucked by "DA BEARS". 3 tries from the 1?

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, Your mom directed me to your blog. She and I know each other through a run/walk we do together. My friend Lynda is half Chinese and her Chinese family are from Shanghai so that gives me an interest. Love your pictures and your writing. I'll check in every once in awhile. Sorry about last night's Eagles game. Kate O'Neill