Thursday, August 21, 2008

Olympics

The Special Olympics are winding down in Beijing this week. This is the first time I've gotten the chance to watch them consistently and I must say they are just as inspirational, if not moreso, than the regular Olympics.

I think it's because you can see the sacrifice the athletes make. With the regular Olympics, you know they train their butt off, but you don’t actually see it. Here, you can at least see some of the difficulties the athletes face.

So, with over a month of Olympics of some sort going on in Beijing, here is a collection of some of the Olympic sports I've seen on TV:

Marathon Swimming

Tae Kwon Do

Wrestling (& Special)

Triathlon

Walking

Judo

Boxing

Basketball (& Special)

Trampoline

Equestrian

Archery

Rifle Shooting

Swimming (Special)

Synchronized Swimming

Phelps Swimming

Some sort of horse trotting event that wasn't Equestrian and I couldn't believe it was an Olympic sport

Indoor Volleyball

Outdoor Volleyball

Sitting Volleyball (Special)

Ping Pong (& Special)

Track (& Special)

Tennis

Baseball

Gymnastics

Pole Vault

Long Jump

Discus

Weight Lifting

Water Polo

Diving

2 comments:

Anthony Lascio said...

Dude, I'm totally with you on that horse trotting nonsense. What the hell was that? What are you judged on? It was kinda like a dog show for horses. Olympics? I think not. If that qualifies as a sport, why not include handball? And I don't mean the game we played on the corner as kids.

Anonymous said...

Chris.....needless to say, the Special Olympics did not make the TV here. Too bad. I think those kids could teach us a thing or two about perseverence! And I agree with Anthony on that horse trotting thing....and to think they are taking away baseball in the next Olympics!

love, Mom xo

p.s. Anthony....love your icon...GO TEMPLE