Friday, January 11, 2008

Walk On

“Hello, Massage, Watch, Handbag!” – I can’t walk anywhere on Nanjing Road (near People’s Square) without hearing these words from multiple street vendors while they show me a placard with assorted goods displayed on it. It seems like they try to size you up from the start - first they assume you’re straight and single (massage, pretty girl), then they’re not sure but they are still sure they want your money (watch); then, they figure you’re married (handbag). The most effective way to get them to leave you alone is to keep walking and nod your head “no.”

When I first got here, I was polite. I made some eye-contact with the hustlers, smiled and said, “No, thanks, I’m not interested.” But I quickly learned that this is the equivalent of saying, “I’ll take three Timex watches, a ‘Gucci’ handbag, and why not throw in a massage for the heck of it.” Anything more than complete ignoration (my word) gets the blood up and they can taste a sale. So, just keep walking.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris....sounds like you passed up the perfect opportunity to do your Christmas shopping....LOL

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Chris, China is similar to center city...Only here you have people asking for money and give you nothing in return....now about that Gucci bag????how much?Love.Aunt Eileen

doyoutri said...

Chris,

I better not get a watch as a wedding gift...

mike

Anonymous said...

Mike....you're getting two watches, his and hers.....LOL

Love, Aunt El

Anonymous said...

chris,

im not sure how often you check these or even if you can comment on your own blog, but...
do they spread out all their purses and stuff on white sheets. i remember that is how those guys would operate in italy. then when they see the cops coming, they would roll up the sheet with all their "products" inside, hoist the sheet over their shoulder and run away... only to set up shop on the next block. it was actually quite entertaining. I think the cops got a kick out of it too.

greg

Anonymous said...

Chris...I would a stearn "MAY-O!" That would seem to stop them in Tainjin...cuz Steve

Anonymous said...

massage? pretty girl? tell us the truth...

Anonymous said...

massage? pretty girl? PLEASE don't tell the truth on here....LOL

Love, Mom xo