Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Back where things make sense

I’m back now – back where the signs can’t be read and there are more people, cars, and bikes around than you ever knew existed, where babies have a slit in their pants so they can poop on the sidewalk, where the construction never stops, and the authorities call you every few days just to make sure you are who you say you are. Yes, I'm back in the Wild East.

I never really went through culture shock when I came to China in November. It’s such a livable, convenient city that if you only visited Shanghai, you could not say you visited China. It’s not an accurate portrayal of the rest of the country (not that any one city is). But going home, I went through some sort of reverse culture shock – it's like my brother said, “you’ve changed Doogie.” The trip itself was surreal. After thinking about going home for months I was finally back amongst people and faces familiar and getting an idea of what it would really be like to live in Philly again. I spent five weeks there and one in Chicago with trips to D.C., New York and world-famous Conshohocken along the way.

In all, I made it to four Phillies games, my nephew’s T-ball championship, the White House again, two weddings (one of which I was the best man for), a college graduation, a bachelor party, a law school graduation, a sweet 16 party, Mother’s and Father’s Day BBQs, a Broadway play, and a baseball game at Wrigley. In many ways, it was the all-American trip. From Chinese food at an Irish Bar on 2nd street to my first visit to Bartram’s Garden, I took in as much as I could and kept up my Chinese wherever and whenever I could; and so…without further ado, here are some pics.

6 comments:

doyoutri said...

you forgot to add a world famous stag party. Including a penthouse room.

Anonymous said...

Chris...you really fit a lot of things into your schedule when you were home; I actually fogot how much you did!!! I know you never got to Aunt El's...we'll save that for your next trip home.

love, mom xo

Anonymous said...

Wow..So many good times in such a short time....but at least they were GOOD Times.....a STAG PARTY????A Penthouse ROOM????

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHHH.....thanks for forgetting the "world famous stag party w/penthouse" TMI

love, mom xo

Anonymous said...

Chris..Bartram Gardens????Good for you...one of the best kept secrets in Philly...did you take the 36 trolley? drive.?.. , bike? run?or take the cruise line from Walnut steet down the river?Love, Aunt Eileen

Eleanor Armstrong said...

Leen.....Chris and I drove out to Bartram Gardens; Chris wanted to see where the river walk would end one day....hopefully!!!

love, el