Saturday, November 01, 2008

CHAMPIONS

The back of the Shanghai Daily has a picture of Brad Lidge celebrating and Jamie Moyer digging up the pitcher's mound and I still can't believe I'm looking at it. A Philadelphia Sports Championship - I thought this was an urban legend - something that we would talk about for years but never experience. And then Wednesday happened. (Or Thursday rather...)

The game started at 8:30 a.m. and I was awake at 6:00. My mind was racing and I couldn't sleep. The Phils are at home and have twelve outs left, compared to the Rays' nine, so I like our chances. I head to the convenience store to pick up some brew. The pre-game show consists of random Chinese soap operas, children's cartoons, and South American Soccer Matches. My buddy Trev makes his was over minutes before game time and we quickly discover that the pecking order on the Chinese sports channel is:

1. Houston Rockets Games
2. World Series

In other words, for the first time since the Series started, the game is not on TV here. So, we jump on our bikes and head to the Big Bamboo. It's mostly empty, but there are a couple of Philly fans in there - one lives at 18th and Spring Garden and the other's from West Chester. There's another guy from Toronto rooting for the Rays "because" they're in the same division. Funny, I thought it went the other way around. Go Mets?!? Go Braves?!?

The Phils have already knocked in a run and are winning 3-2. I think I've missed the most critical part of the game but I don't care - we're winning. Then, Rocco Baldelli reminds me that this is Philly so it's not going to come easy. I swill my beer as Chase Utley turns the play of the Series, a fake to first followed by a bullet to Ruiz for the out at home.

Pat the Bat breaks out of his slump at the perfect time and minutes later, we're ahead again. Now, I'm alternating between literally sitting on the edge of my seat and pacing the bar, watching each batter at a different TV. As packed as the bars were in Philly - that's how empty this one was.

Crawford hits a single so I vow not to watch the rest of the game from the TV at the end of the bar. The announcer (who speaks English - the feed is coming from ESPN International) comments that this is great for the Rays because with Crawford on 1st and Upton batting, a double play will be very difficult. Couldn't agree more!

Then comes the fateful 9th and we're World Champs! I scream and hug the other two Phillies fans like I've never hugged strangers before. The Rays "fan" bolts. I call Mom. Another Philly fan from Bucks County rolls in. We buy each other beers and proceed to spend the rest of the day drinking beer, eating pizza and telling Philly stories.

I realize the mayhem and revelry on Broad Street was out of control. I missed out big-time but let me have this: I had to be one of the last to go to bed. That's the beauty of the game getting over at 9:58 am. Given the range of emotions I've felt over the past two weeks, I'm missing Philly more than ever. So, do me a favor and leave a comment now.

Sometimes, people tell me they live vicariously through me and now it is my turn to do the same through you. Tell me about your night, where you watched the game and the madness that ensued. What was going through your mind? Tell me about the parade and festivities. I want to hear it all. I need to hear it all because who knows when this will happen again.

Enjoy the moment and never forget.........2008 World Champs!

3 comments:

Eleanor Armstrong said...

Chris.....I hate being the first one to leave a comment, but I can't help it!!! The last few days actually seemed surreal! Philly...City of Champions? HUH? Like the guy on Br. Street holding the sign "pinch me" yea, pinch me, and if this is a dream....DON'T WAKE ME UP!!! It's just been PHREAKIN NUTS and I loved every minute of it. The City got an early Christmas Gift. Philly....City of Champions? YES!!

love, mom xo

doyoutri said...

Chris,

you were here in spirit and I have posted alot on my blog. Check it out. We will have to mail you a hat.

Mike

Saltzman Book said...

doogie,

good to hear you got a chance to savor the victory. me, my dad, and liz all went to games 5.1 and 5.2. let's just say it was colder than a december night on the concrete field of the vet. but it was amazing to witness something that incredible in person. for the first time in a long time, philly is on top.

cousin greg

btw, whats up with no more anonymous postings