Thursday, May 28, 2009

Appreciating Daylight....at 4:30 a.m.

I have a better appreciation for daylights savings time now. The sun rises at about 4:30 a.m. here and we still have three weeks until the longest day of the year so it’s rising earlier everyday.


I think about this sometimes and the energy that’s wasted by having people use an extra hour of electricity at night while they’re sleeping through daylight in the morning. I am not real sure why China hasn’t adopted time zones yet. The country is roughly the size of America, yet Tibet and Beijing are on the same time. That’s like having the same time in Arizona and New York – pretty wild. I’ve heard that the government doesn’t want to adopt time zones because Beijing time is Beijing time and that is final. If that's true, it seems stubborn. I like to think that it’s on the government's list of things to do, but we’re in a developing country and there are more pressing matters at hand. Between the two, the latter thought is far more comforting and allows me to fall back to sleep as I pull the covers back over my eyes.

No comments: