Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Does everything happen for a reason?

Everything happens for a reason. The more I think about it, the less I'm convinced.

There was nothing special or extraordinary about her, at least from what I could tell. She worked too much, didn't like her job, and sometimes felt depressed as a result. We met for a language exchange twice. The first time was at a cafe and the second was at my apartment. She said she strictly wanted to exchange language, but it was just talk. I could tell from the way she tossed her hair that there were more to her feelings.

A few months later, I would leave Shanghai and we’d mutually forget about each other. Last weekend, I returned to Shanghai for the first time in months and we crossed paths. I was with Xiao Yi, the friend I met in Korea, and she was also with someone. She seemed happy and, at first, I couldn’t place her face. Now, I’m thinking about why it happened.

(The above is an excerpt from my journal. Of course, the debate about reasons can extend to far more important aspects of life - disease, war, or the whereabouts of that Air France jet.)

2 comments:

doyoutri said...

very well put. Yes it all happens for a reason and one day we will find out.

Eleanor Armstrong said...

I agree with Michael

love, mom xo