Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Reaction to the Election

We here at the Wild East try to keep politics off the blog, but I think a presidential election merits a post. And while I don't have the biggest sample size, I thought I'd let you know the reaction to Obama (chinese: 奥巴马) being elected has been mostly indifferent here, at least from my experience.

I've spoken with my Chinese friends and students about it. In general, they like Bush and think that while he's a bit of a cowboy, he's a good president. They don't understand why we went to war in Iraq. Some think he's got a fake smile, but he's a good guy who has a generally favorable attitude towards China. They appreciate the fact that he attended the Olympics.


As for Obama, they seem to like him too. They realize he's a microcosm (my word, not theirs) of America in that he has mixed blood, but don't seem to know much else about him. I can't blame them. I didn't know the name of China's president when I came here a year ago. But, obviously our election gets more coverage here than their politicians get in America.

One of my students said, "If McCain won, I have work tomorrow, but Obama won and, so, I still have work tomorrow." That's my favorite quote and the best way to sum up the Chinese reaction - aware, but not overly excited or nervous about it.

No comments: